Can raisins and also grapes really poison dogs?

The prize is an emphatic yes, and also everyone who owns a dog demands to understand it. In this article, I’ll describe the grape-raisin syndrome in dogs and also review the straightforward steps in treating the most life-threatening aspect of this type of poisoning: kidney failure. If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, that is best to call the ASPCA pet Poison Control center (888-426-4435), wherein they have specially trained employee who provide assistance come pet owner and certain diagnostic and treatment references to veterinarians. Because affected dogs might die, dog owners need to stop feeding their dogs grapes, raisins, and any food include grape extracts. If ingestion must occur, it is recommended that you seek veterinary assistance immediately to initiate aggressive medical management. For an ext information top top the toxicity of grapes or raisins, check out the ASPCA APCC web site (www.apcc.aspca.org ).

You are watching: How much does a raisin weigh

Recently, veterinarians have actually recognized this brand-new poisoning in dogs: severe acute kidney failure following ingestion the grapes or raisins.

What causes it?

The certain poisons connected in this toxicosis have eluded identification. Fungal, pesticide, and heavy-metal causes have been ruled the end at this time. Examination continues. It appears from current unpublished data the the toxicity component is in ~ the meat of the grape/raisin, not the seed.

What varieties are affected?

There are reported instances in dogs, and also sporadic reports the cats might be affected. Most cats will not conveniently eat grapes or raisins, and also this might be the factor for the lack of data in this species.

Birds execute not seem to be influenced (otherwise we would have actually no crows feeding ~ above vineyards!).

How much is dangerous?

The shortest recorded quantities that caused kidney fail in dogs are, for grapes: 0.3 ounces of grapes per pound of body weight, and also for raisins 0.05 ounces every pound. Inmore traditional terms, this would average a 50 lb dog can be poisoned by eating as tiny as 15 ounces that grapes, or 2 to 3 ounces of raisins.

However, smaller amounts could additionally cause problems - we really don"t know exactly what the minimum dose is.

However, not every dog or cat is susceptible. Many pets can tolerate large quantities the grapes or raisins without problems, and at this time nobody knows what the main risk determinants are the make one animal susceptible to being poisoned.

What around Grape seeds Extract or grape juice?

This appears to it is in safe.

Toxicity has been associated with seedless grapes, therefore the toxin is i can not qualify to be within the seeds. It is then possible that grape seed extract is safe to use—however, this has actually not been conclusively proven. The factor this is important to understand is that grape seed extract is a powerful antioxidant that might be valuable in the therapy of arthritis and other inflammatory conditions, and some dog owners use this in your older dogs.

See more: What Does The Coarse Adjustment Knob Do On A Microscope Terms Flashcards

There is no information available about grape juice or wine. However, since the toxic agent is no known, existing recommendations space to avoid offering grape juice or alcohol to dogs or cats.

What should I do?

If you view you dog eat grapes or raisins, the smartest point to do is to do them vomit immediately. A tablespoon the hydrogen peroxide offered by mouth will usually accomplish this within 5 or 10 minutes.

However, if there is any kind of chance that some grapes or raisins have not to be vomited up, the safest point to do is take your dog to your veterinarian. The proper treatment to minimize the hazard of kidney damage is to administer large amount of IV fluids because that 36 come 72 hours. 

What is the prognosis?

The prognosis in cases where kidney failure creates is guarded, in ~ best. This is medical jargon that means, really roughly: the chances of survival space 50/50. Prognosis is an excellent if caught automatically after a dog has consumed the grapes or raisins.