Welcome to the rewildtv.com in-depth page on WJ Generation Jeep grand Cherokee transmission organization & maintenance. We have organized as much information as we might find into a helpful article below. Is something not correct or missing? Please get in touch v us and we’ll solve it!
The usage of non-recommended fluids can an outcome in transmission failure. The usual outcomes are erratic shifts, slippage, abnormal wear and eventual failure as result of fluid failure and sludge formation. Stop this problem by making use of recommended fluids only.
You are watching: Jeep grand cherokee transmission fluid type
A low fluid level enables the pump to take it in air in addition to the fluid. Wait in the liquid will cause fluid pressures to be low and develop slower 보다 normal. If the transmission is overfilled, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates the fluid and causing the same conditions emerging with a low level. In one of two people case, air bubbles reason fluid overheating, oxidation and also varnish buildup i m sorry interferes through valve and clutch operation. Foaming also causes fluid growth which can an outcome in fluid overflow native the transmission vent or to fill tube. Liquid overflow can easily be mistaken for a leak if investigate is not careful.
DaimlerChrysler strongly recommends against the addition of any type of fluids come the transmission, other than those automatic infection fluids noted above. Exceptions to this policy are the use of one-of-a-kind dyes to assist in detecting fluid leaks. Assorted “special” additives and supplements exist that insurance claim to improve change feel and/or quality. This additives and also others also claim to improve converter clutch operation and also inhibit overheating, oxidation, varnish, and also sludge. These claims have no been sustained to the satisfaction of DaimlerChrysler and these additives should not it is in used. The use of transmission “sealers” should likewise be avoided, due to the fact that they might adversely impact the verity of transmission seals.
FILTER SEAL caution (545RFE):
The primary oil filter seal have to be completely installed flush versus the oil pump body. Do NOT install the seal ~ above the filter neck and also attempt to download the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to the transmission will certainly result. Install the new primary oil filter seal in the oil pump inlet bore. Chair the seal in the bore with the butt end of a hammer, or other suitable tool. Ar replacement filter in place on valve body and into the oil pump. Download screw to organize filter come valve body. Tighten screw come 40 in. Lbs. Torque.
CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION liquid LEVEL:
All WJ transmissions have actually a dipstick to examine oil level. It is located on the appropriate side of the engine (passenger side). The dipstick cap and fill tube must be delete everything clean before checking fluid level. Dirt, grease and also other international material ~ above the cap and also tube could fall right into the pipe if not removed beforehand. Take the moment to wipe the cap and tube clean before withdrawing the dipstick.
MODEL 45RFE or 545RFE: (used with V8 engines only)
1. Transmission liquid must be at typical operating temperature for accurate liquid level check. Drive auto if important to bring fluid temperature approximately normal warm operating temperature that 82°C (180°F). The speak converter filling in both the p (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.
2. The engine should be to run at idle rate for at the very least one minute, through the auto on level ground.
3. Apply parking brakes.
4. Ar the selector lever in ns (PARK) come be certain that the liquid level inspect is accurate.
5. Clean peak of filler tube and dipstick to keep dirt native entering tube.
6. Eliminate dipstick and also check fluid level as follows:
(a) exactly acceptable level is in crosshatch area or area between “COLD” and “HOT”.
(b) correct maximum level is to “HOT” arrowhead mark.
(c) incorrect level is in ~ or listed below “COLD” line. The liquid level will be around at the upper COLD feet of the dipstick at 70° F liquid temperature.
(d) If fluid is low, include only enough Mopar ATF +4 automatically Transmission fluid to restore correct level. Carry out not overfill.
1. Transmission fluid must it is in at typical operating temperature for accurate liquid level check. Drive car if essential to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature that 82°C (180°F).
2. Position auto on level surface.
4. Apply parking brakes.
5. Change transmission momentarily right into all gear ranges. Then change transmission back to NEUTRAL.
6. Clean optimal of filler tube and also dipstick to save dirt from entering tube.
7. Remove dipstick and check fluid level together follows:
(a) correct acceptable level is in crosshatch area.
(b) exactly maximum level is come MAX arrowhead mark.
(c) untrue level is at or listed below MIN line.
(d) If liquid is low, add only sufficient Mopar ATF +4 automatically Transmission liquid to gain back correct level. Perform not overfill.
Transmission fluid, filters and service intervals
|5.5 qts. (2WD service)6.5 qts. (4WD service)|
Cooler return filter (internal, round):2WD or 4WD – P/N 4799662($16.95 MSRP)
|100,000 mi.||30,000 mi.|
TRANSMISSION FLUID and also FILTER SERVICE
|REMOVING PAN and also FILTER(S) 1. Hoist and support automobile on safety stands. |
2. Location a huge diameter shallow drainpipe pan in ~ the infection pan.
3. Remove bolts stop front and also sides of pan to transmission.
4. Ease bolts holding rear of pan come transmission.
5. Progressively separate front of pan away from transmission allowing the liquid to drain into drainpipe pan. A level plastic trim tool can be used or carefully tap on edges through rubber hammer.
6. Host up pan and also remove staying bolts hold pan come transmission.
7. While holding pan level, lower pan away from transmission.
8. Pour remaining fluid in pan into drain pan.
9. Remove solitary screw stop filter to valve body.
10. Separate filter from valve body and also oil pump and pour liquid in filter into drainpipe pan.
11. Remove and discard the oil filter seal native the bottom the the oil pump.
12. If instead of the cooler return filter (suggested), usage oil filter wrench (Mopar #8321) to remove the filter native the transmission. (NOTE: 45RFE or 545RFE transmission only)
13. Dispose of supplied trans fluid and also filter(s) properly.
14. Check bottom of pan and magnet because that excessive amounts of metal. A light coating that clutch product on the bottom the the pan walk not suggest a problem unless accompanied by a slipping condition or transition lag.
15. Making use of a perfect solvent, clean pan and also magnet.
16. Making use of a perfect gasket scraper, extensively clean initial sealing product from surface of transmission case and the transmission pan. NOTE: because that 42RE infection the transmission pan oil gasket might be reusable. Check the sealing surface of the gasket. If the sealing ribs top top both surfaces show up to be in an excellent condition, clean the gasket of any foreign material prior to reinstalling.
17. Let remaining liquid drain, the longer the much better if you want to get much more of the old liquid out.
FILTER and also PAN INSTALLATION
1. Download a brand-new primary oil filter seal in the oil pump inlet bore. Chair the seal in the bore with the butt finish of a hammer, or other suitable tool.CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal have to be completely installed flush against the oil pump body. Perform NOT install the seal top top the filter neck and attempt to download the filter and also seal together an assembly. Damage to the transmission will certainly result.
2. Ar replacement filter in position on valve body and into the oil pump.
3. Install screw to organize filter to valve body. Tighten screw to 40 in. Lbs. (4.5 N·m) torque.
4. If changing cooler return filter, install new one ~ above the transmission. Talk the filter to 125 in.lbs. (14.12 N·m) (NOTE: cooler filter is only offered on the 45RFE and also 545RFE transmissions).
5. Location 1/4″ or so bead that Mopar RTV sealant top top the transmission instance sealing surface (45RFE and 545RFE). For 42RE transmission reinstall gasket or install new gasket.
6. Location pan in place on transmission.
See more: What Is 5.2 As A Fraction 5
7. Install bolts to host pan to transmission. Closely tighten bolts come 105 in. Lbs. (11.8 N·m) torque. Enable RTV sealant to collection for 15-30 minutes (45RFE and 545RFE).
8. Reduced vehicle and fill transmission v Mopar ATF +4, as described in the fluid Fill measures below.
TRANSMISSION liquid FILL
To stop overfilling infection after a fluid readjust or overhaul, do the following procedure:
1. Eliminate dipstick and also insert clean funnel in transmission fill tube.
2. Add following initial amount of Mopart ATF +4 to transmission:
(a) If just fluid and filter to be changed, begin by including 10 pints (5 quarts) the ATF +4 come transmission.
(b) If infection was completely overhauled and the speak converter was changed or drained, begin by adding 24 pints (12 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.
3. Inspect the transmission fluid level and readjust as compelled by complying with the checking THE TRANSMISSION fluid LEVEL directions above.