Drinking moldy water doesn’t make us bother because practically we don’t see any effect of drinking moldy water. Typically, we keep water in a plastic bottle for days and then drink the water without any hesitation. Most of the time, we don’t understand if there are any molds there. because water has no taste and practically there is no smell in the bottle. So, we keep water in the same plastic bottle over the weeks without cleaning it properly.

You are watching: What happens if you drink moldy water

But our carefulness depends on the question of what happens if you drink moldy water? So here we’ll conversate on water mold and how to know your water has mold in it and how to get rid of the moldy water. So, let’s find out.

Table of Contents

What is Water Mold

Kind of bacteria born in water. We usually see water molds in brackish water and wet soils. Most of the water mold species are saprotrophic it means they live on the dead. Now a question arrives, can mold grow in water? As molds need moisture surface to grow it not completely impossible for them to grow in water.

Actually, molds grow in water which has rich nutrients. Because they need nutrients to survive. Water molds lay a mat-like surface on the water and initiate spores. It happens when we keep our plastic water bottle in place for weeks and forget to drink the water from it. Only then molds can grow on the water surface. But river or any water source which have constant motion of water don’t get affected by molds. There are more than 1000000 types of molds but all of them are not harmless.

is black mold in water bottle dangerous? Is a common question for water bottle users. We use to see black mold growing underneath the bottle in kids water bottle.

Mold in Drinking Water Signs

Some symptoms indicate that your water has already attacked by molds. Sometimes we take water from the well. There is a high risk of your water ha already a home for water molds. It happens if the good cap gets damaged.

Also, it’s not entirely impossible to get moldy water from the city water supply. Molds can easily live under a high level of oxygen with an organic food source. Even after cleaning your water tank, mold still can be found in your water just because of old and filthy pipes. Let’s see the symptoms of moldy water-

Under the bottle cap, you’ll see some blackish layer.water smells different.If you notice dirt like substance around the bottle.

Mold in water bottle symptoms

If you drink mold mix water from a bottle, it can make you ill. Symptoms like nausea, diarrhea and couple of respiratory problems can happen in this situation. Therefore, it is advised not to have mold mix water.

Symptoms of drinking moldy water

Some types of mold can create allergic reactions. Other common indications could be coughing, Headache, sneezing, runny nose, lung irritation, congestion, sore throat, skin rash and eye irritation.

Accidentally drank moldy water

If someone drinks moldy water accidentally, in general it isn’t that bad. Hydrochloric acid that is present into the stomach, will kill them all and will turn them into neutral things. But still as a side effect of stomach pain, nausea could happen.

Drinking Moldy Water Side Effects

Mold can cause various sickness and sometimes none at all, mold in drinking water symptoms actually depends on the person’s immunity system. Most of the case mold doesn’t affect us but a sensitive person can have nasal stuffiness, wheezing, irritation into the throat and coughing. These are actually happening for mold allergies.

Often people ask can drinking mold make you sick, yeah drinking mold from water can make you sick if you have a compromised immune system and lung disease, etc. So people of compromised respiratory conditions should avoid drinking moldy water.

Black Mold in Water Bottle

Black mold is kind of fungus and microorganisms neither an animal and plat. Already I have told there is more than 100.000 unique type of molds and black molds is one of them. It is greenish and smells like disgusting rotten leaves.

Black mold usually grows in a damp, dark place like our water bottle. But you can’t see them individually as they are micro-orgasmic. Sometimes you’ll see black thin film forming on the mouthpiece of the water bottle. It’s the sigh of a large number of black mold spores.

White mold in water bottle

In the early stages of mold growth, white mold is not as noticeable as black or green ones. White colored mold is not that visible, it is still not good for your health. Mold exposure can irritate the nose, eyes, skin, throat and lungs.

Is Black Mold in Water Bottle Venturesome?

Like other molds, there is sufficient possibility the mold spores thriving on the reusable bottle are not detrimental, but also, they can be allergic for some people. Moldy water bottle sore throat is the most common problem.

How to Get Rid of Mold from a Water Bottle

Surely, you are now thinking about the process of how to remove mold from the water bottle. Most of the case, we do tension about our children’s water bottle. Let’s conversate about some methods.


Using a Brush

It’s an excellent way to cleansing the bottle. First, leave a mixture of dish soap and hot water in your large bowl or your sink. Now put the bottle in the bowl and let it soak into the hot soapy water for 10-15 minutes. Use bottle brush to cleansing the bottom and edges of the bottle. Then wash the bottle with clean water thoroughly and leave it to dry properly. It removes the chance of being attacked by mold.

Baking Soda and Bleach

Two ways of cleansing the bottle by baking soda. Baking soda has been considering as a mild disinfectant for mold. Leave 2 spoons of baking soda in warm water and soak the water bottle there for several hours before finally being washed.

Secondly, some people use 1 teaspoon of baking soda and half teas spoon of bleach to disinfect anything. For this method, rinse the bottle there for 5-6 hours and wash it properly.

White Vinegar Therapy

Up to 82% mold can be removed with the therapy of white vinegar. fill your bottle with the mixture of white vinegar and water and leave the bottle in the passion for a night. Then wash the bottle with soap and warm water exquisitely to get rid of the smell of vinegar.

Instead of Bottle Brush

If you don’t have any brush or scrubber for bottle wash, then fill the bottle with some rice, warm water and little amount of dish soap and then close the lid and shake the bottle for several times. This the rice will work as the brush.

Also Read : Common Question and Answer about Drinking Moldy Water


Drinking a few sips of moldy water doesn’t do any harm in the long run. But if you use to drink moldy water continuously, it may harm your digesting system and also can cause different allergies. Often people ask can drinking mold make you sick, yeah drinking mold from water can make you sick if you have compromised immune system and lung disease etc. So, people of compromised respiratory conditions should avoid drinking moldy water.

Often people ask can drinking mold make you sick, yeah drinking mold from water can make you sick if you have compromised immune system and lung disease etc. So people of compromised respiratory conditions should avoid drinking moldy water. You should go to the doctor to know about what is affecting you. The only doctor can diagnose the mold allergy according to your symptoms.

Yes, you can. In case the amount of black mold growth at home is small to treat alone. A simple mixture of bleach & water can help in this situation. Mix 1 cup of bleach to one gallon of water & apply it to the moldy spots. Use it to the mold spot & scrub away the growth. Dry the area when you’re done.

See more: How To Set Clock On Jvc Car Stereo ? How Do I Change The Time On My Jvc Car Stereo

Plastics & some metal vessels contain bisphenol. The Food & Drug Administration warned about its correlation with cancer. Glass is the safest water bottle. Because it’s chemical-free, made from natural materials & dishwasher safe. If you want to use a plastic bottle, then use food-grade plastic. You can also use stainless steel bottle too.